Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Texas Testimony

Two years sounds like such a long time, but then it up and passes you by and you wonder "Where did the time go?" I have spent the last few weeks preparing for our big move to New York, and I have been quietly recalling the blessings of our time in College Station. I had no idea what the Lord had in mind sending us to Texas - the only place on our list of "possibilities" that I secretly hoped against. It was the only choice without a familiar connection, as far away from both our families as possible. I knew everyone I had ever met from Texas was proud of being a Texan and really nice - but how would I fit in?

Arriving in May 2008, I was a brand new mommy with an eight-week old son. I have to admit, I was a bit of a wreck physically and emotionally. Thankfully I had enough wit about me to try and find some friends. And who did the Lord have waiting for me? A wonderful lady named Tiffany, who at the same I had given birth to Benjamin had given birth to her firstborn, a cutie-pie named Avery. Amazingly, we met online and after meeting at a public place - to make sure neither of us were crazies - we became fast friends. We shared so many common beliefs and ideas that conversation came easily and we have been supporting each other and laughing ever since. Thank you Lord for such a friend!

After a decent amount of church hunting, Dan discovered Grace Bible Church in early July 2008. Here we found sound biblical teaching and best of all, a fantastic Sunday school class designed just for families with young children. What a blessing to be surrounded by people our age, experiencing the same joys and trials of parenting as us, and reacting to them in a Godly manner. The other mothers in the group were so welcoming and kind, and so much fun! What a great group of folks to pray and play with. Thank you Lord for providing such fellowship!

Grace Bible Church led me to a Wednesday morning Bible study called Mom to Mom. This study changed my life, providing for me an understanding of my calling as a christian wife and mother. It was also a practical forum where "Titus 2" or "Mentor Moms" took the time to help you deal with the reality of motherhood - both the laughter and the poop. These moms took the time to serve us, providing a respite from our demanding lives as new mommies. It was such a blessing, how I looked forward to Wednesday mornings! Proverbs 31 - scripture that I first heard at Mom to Mom, now convicts me and inspires me. (Below are a few of the inspiring verses from the chapter. I encourage you to read the whole proverb, which I don't have the space to include.)

"Who can find a virtuous wife?
For her worth is far above rubies.
The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
So he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life...

Her children rise up and call her blessed;
Her husband also...

Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Proverbs 31:10-31

I know that Lord has used my time in Texas to mold me into a more Godly wife and mother. And, best of all helped to strengthen my dependence on Him and His word. By the grace of God I am leaving College Station in much better condition than I arrived. The Johnson family has enjoyed many blessings here and we hope to make our home here again one day...say Summer 2021? In the meantime I am eagerly awaiting what God has planned for us in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment