For the last few weeks I've been enjoying the blog "Near to Nothing" (http://www.neartonothing.blogspot.com/) that is being written by my sister-in-law's sisters-in-law. (Did you follow that?) Not only do the ladies post great recipes, their ideas for saving money in the grocery store are fantastic. Last week I found chicken thighs at the commissary (the Army grocery store) for $.59lb and thought I won the lottery!
Even if you have more than enough to meet your needs, why pay more when you can pay less? More importantly, why waste the blessings from the Lord on thoughtless consumerism? Inspired over the last few years by the wisdom of both my mother-in-law and my own mom, I've realized that you can cut huge amounts of "fluff" out of your household budget just by being intentional in your grocery shopping and frequenting shops like Good Will or Once Upon a Child (a fun consignment store for kids clothing). Then, at the end of the day, not only are you caring for your family but you are being a good steward of the Lord's blessings.
Please don't get me wrong, I struggle with spending and coveting...but the influences of blogs like "Near to Nothing" and the wise women in my life inspire me to do better. And, that is why I'm blogging today.
Below is my favorite money saving idea for motivated homemakers - homemade laundry detergent. I wanted to share because it works and you save a bundle each month. (For my family of 3, 1 batch lasts 1 month and costs about $1.) In case you have anyone in your family with sensitive skin this stuff has the added benefit of being skin friendly. (It all depends on what bar of soap you choose to use.) I hope you enjoy and if you have any great budgeting ideas - I would love to hear about them!
Homemade Laundry Detergent
3 gallons water
3 gallons water
1 bar of your favorite soap
1/2 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda

No comments:
Post a Comment