I usually do not cry at church, but this weekend I found myself tearing up during worship at the Cadet Chapel. I know it had a lot to do with the general overly emotional state I am in right now - being 7+ months pregnant - but it also was a release. Singing songs of praise at the Cadet Chapel felt like coming home.
One of the most difficult parts of leaving College Station was leaving our church family at Grace Bible Church. There we had amazing fellowship with other young families, a wonderful home church and great, biblical teaching from Brian Fisher. So far, in search of a church to attend while we are stationed here at West Point, we have been disappointed.
However, this weekend was different. The chapel was warm and inviting - despite it's gothic architecture. Benjamin was excited to play in the nursery while Dan and I enjoyed the service. We befriended 4 or 5 families that were also new to the area. The sermon was based on scripture. And, the service was both traditional and modern; incorporating the legacy of the Academy while being relevent to the times and its members. Furthermore there was an obvious mission through the Cadet Chapel to reach out to the cadets, which would be wonderful for us to participate in while stationed at the Academy.
Until I found myself teary-eyed last Sunday, I didn't realize how much I had missed having a church home. I pray that the Cadet Chapel is where God wants us to worship while we are here.
The Cadet Prayer
O God, Our Father, Thou Searcher of Human hearts, help us to draw near to Thee in sincerity and truth. May our religion be filled with gladness and may our worship of Thee be natural. Strengthen and increase our admiration for honest dealing and clean thinking, and suffer not our hatred of hypocrisy and pretence ever to diminish. Encourage us in our endeavor to live above the common level of life. Make us to choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong, and never be content with a half truth when the whole can be won. Endow us with courage that is born of loyalty to all that is noble and worthy, that scorns to compromise with vice and injustice and knows no fear when truth and right are in jeopardy. Guard us against flippancy and irreverence in the sacred things of life. Kindle our hearts in fellowship with those of a cheerful countenance, and soften our hearts with sympathy for those that sorrow and suffer. Help us to maitain the honor the Corps untarnished and unsullied and to show forth in our lives the ideals of West Point in doing our duty to Thee and to our Country. All of which we ask in the name of the Great Friend and Master of All.
Amen


No comments:
Post a Comment